Saturday, September 7, 2013

Dar Khane Din

Yesterday was Dar Khane Din, the first day of Teej. On this day you're supposed to eat a lot because the next day is fasting. I spent the day with my family at my buwa's cousin's house. We were unsure if we could go at first because there was an unexpected bandh, which is a city wide strike. Bandhs are made by different political parties. They close down the roads except for government and tourist vehicles and pedestrians. Usually they give a few days notice, but this one seemed a bit sudden. The maoists were unhappy that one of their members was arrested for a murder, so they called a bandh. We were able to sneak into the street because the bandh was just beginning. The streets were unusually empty, except for some motorcycles and lots of pedestrians. I didn't see any protesters, but again, the bandh was just beginning, so there was little action.

We stayed at the cousin's house from 11am to about 10 pm. We ate about 3 times. My family started playing cards, but they told me to watch before I played. I didn't really understand why they wouldn't just teach me, until at the end of the game they all tossed money at the winner. I think "playing cards" usually means gambling, but I'm not sure. I decided to skip the card playing.

My friend from school's family came over later and she brought her school books, so we could study for the language test on Monday. We also taught a British expat some Nepali, who is temporarily staying with my buwa's cousin. The expat is here for 5 months on an internship working for the UN. She's very nice and very British. I might hang out with her sometimes. At the moment I'm looking for either a gym or a dance studio, and I told her I'd let her know if I found anything.
 
My aamaa gave me lots of bangles and when we got to the cousin's house, they gave me more bangles. They are glass, so you have to be gentle with them or they snap.

Today is Teej and my aamaa is fasting. She took me on a short walk and we got tikkas and she prayed. All the women are wearing red sarees. I don't have one, so I'm just wearing the red kurta I bought the other day. Later, I'm meeting Smita and Kanchan for lunch with one of my school friends.
aamaa in her red saree for Teej

got a tikka with aamaa at the nearby temple

2 comments:

  1. did the riot ever get into full swing??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm I don't think so, but I don't know because I was inside with my family the whole time. They probably wouldn't have let me out anyways in case it got violent.

      Delete