Monday, September 9, 2013

Teej

Well, I didn't really observe Teej. Some people from school went to Pashupati, danced, wore red sarees, and got henna. That sounded pretty fun but I wanted to meet up with Kanchan and Smita too. Plus my aamaa and didi didn't go, so I didn't feel like I was leaving them on a holiday. 

My friend, Leah, and I took a taxi to meet Smita and Kanchan at the zoo. We walked past this place where there were many women dancing in their red sarees. It looked fun.

We went to the zoo a few years ago when we were in Nepal. I forgot how good it was! They have many animals, including, a tiger, rhinos, hippos, boas, and monkeys. Somehow we ended up on this ride called Funny Temple. It spins and goes up and down. It was super creaky and sounded like it would break every time it changed direction. I think the scariest part of the ride was hoping that it didn't collapse. 


Waiting for the paddleboat.
Then we did the paddle boats. It was really nice, paddling around the lime green lake. 


2009: Smita, cousin, Kyle, Kanchan, me
2013: Smita, Kanchan, me
Then we came across this face-in-the-hole place. We all remembered doing it a few years ago, so we did it again! Oh and if you didn't know, you can click on the pictures and the will get bigger.

Leah and I practiced some Nepali on them.  Mostly colors, some verbs, and "feelings." For example, after we went on the Funny Temple ride I said, "malaai ringaTaa laagyo tara waakwaak laageko chhaina." Which means, "I'm dizzy but not vomit-y." In class, we not only learned the word for nauseous/feeling like vomit,  but also "pakhaalaa" which also means diarrhea. When we get sick, they want us to be able to complain in Nepali.

For homework, we had to buy something via bargaining. I got some henna for hands from 25 Rs down to 15 Rs. Smita said anything more than 20 Rs was expensive. I tried using the script we learned in class, but then the vendor deviated from it and I was a bit lost. So I just kept saying "pandra rupee! (15 rupees!!)" until she finally gave in. Leah got a belt from 400 to 275 Rs. Pretty good!

1 comment:

  1. bargaining is a ton of fun. especially when they cave in the end. the fact that you speak with an accent will always get you a 300% price hike. did an experiment in the local markets here, speaking english once and canto once.

    ReplyDelete