Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Elections

Elections weren't too eventful, at least in the village. There was about a week long strike, so my friends in Kathmandu had a hard time setting up interviews because everything was shut down. They said there were a few bombs, but I don't think anyone was killed. They were mostly to scare people away from going back to their homes to vote

On election day, I followed Prem, Subarna, and an aunt and uncle up the big hill to vote. They stood in line for about an hour, got fingerprinted and voted with the following ballot. Many people (including my stepmother) are illiterate, which I think is why they only have pictures. They put a stamp for where they want to vote.

Nepali Congress won. My sisters said this was a good thing. I'm sure my baa in Tukuche was a little bummed after all his hard work for the Himalayan party.

Sample ballot

Women's voting line. I thought it was funny that there was so much space, but they were all squished together - chest to back.
Buwa in the men's line - much shorter than the womens, but much slower. Notice the hat around his neck.

After voting. Buwa, aunt and stepmother tired after standing in line for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment