Thursday, November 28, 2013

Miscellaneous village stuff



Buwa's new garden. About a 10 minute walk from home. He grows corn and saag (spinach?).

Up the hill from our village, on our way to Gorsu - Prem's birth village. We could see himals, and as usual, I was ecstatic. No one here appreciates them. I saw them for the first time FROM Kathmandu the other day. So cool, but nobody knows which himals they are.

Some of buwa's old neighbors, beating grass to get the rice out.

Rice terraces

self-administered mendhi

more mendhi on my cousin's hand

the house. almost all the rooms are being rented except for 2 and the kitchen (way up top, not visible).
 The house will be destroyed in the next year when the Chinese build a new road from their border to Kathmandu. It will be a giant highway. The only compensation villagers are getting for their houses being torn down is about $40 USD, and thats only to cover the demolition process. No compensation for a new home or relocation. Many roadside villages will be very changed in about 5 years when the road is done.
Buwa peeling a tater in the kitchen

Debaki and stepmother cooking

Uncle (with dyed pink hair to cover the white hairs- makes me giggle) with pigs. Buwa just told me to follow him and my aunt one day and we ended up in at the pig sty with many hungry pigs.

Everyone was interested in how much I could read, write, and speak. Sometimes I would go downstairs to a tailor who is renting space from buwa. He'd ask me a question in Nepali, then I'd have to write my answer down in Nepali. I think it was the last night I was there, they had me write a page about Nepal. I showed this to one of my sisters and she found lots of mistakes, but I'm still proud of it. It definitely helped when administering the survey because I had to translate questions from English to Nepali, then Romanized Nepali to Nepali script.

Buwa in the garden with some corn

1 comment: