Tuesday, July 8, 2014

More site visits

A couple days in a row, we did more site visits. Working with the NGO has been feeling more like an internship than volunteering. I'm fine with that because it's interesting to see how the NGO works and make connections with all of their connections.

One day, we went to a meeting of a women's micro finance group. CDRA had to reprimand them for not doing more community outreach projects. There was a lot of bickering that I didn't catch much of.
Family with livestock that was donated through sponsors of CDRA-Nepal

Woman in the micro finance group at her farm

Rubita and a cute kid
A gigantic radish that I was given to eat. yikes. It was both spicy and bitter. I couldn't tell if I liked it or not.
Cleaning radishes
On this day, we visited a school for mentally disabled kids. We walked in on a teacher's training. The teachers came from many different districts to be trained, but only a handful stayed to teach at this school. We were sitting in the room with the teachers. Ashok and a fellow rotarian made speeches to the effect of "You're doing well, good luck, we appreciate it...etc." Then out of the blue Ashok told me to make a speech! In Nepali! I didn't know what to say. I stood up and said they were good people and to keep working hard and good luck with teaching. No idea if they could even understand my Nepali yikes. Then they handed out some packets of materials. Ashok's rotary friend handed out half and then Ashok asked if I wanted to. I told him that his friend seemed much more important and should probably do the honors, but I ended up handing out packets anyways. Feelin' VIP.

Preparing packets for the teachers to take home.
Giving out the packets to some of the teachers.
 Ashok took me and Rubita to his weekly Rotary Club meeting. All the people there are involved in some interesting stuff. They had just inaugurated a new president, so it was his first meeting. A couple of the people I met there I will work with later.

Fancy hotel for meeting
Dhulikhel Rotary group


No comments:

Post a Comment